2021-02-05

OMEGA Seamaster Diver 300M Beijing 2022 SPECIAL EDITION

With only a year until the Beijing 2022 Winter Olympic Games begin in China, I must admit I’m not sure how I feel (yes, I am – read on) but nevertheless I do know that (as per tradition) this upcoming event has spawned yet another lovely new special edition Omega diver and least that’s a good thing, I think. As the Official Timekeeper of this historic event, Omega has kicked off the celebrations a little prematurely with a new timepiece dedicated to said occasion. Meet the new Seamaster Diver 300M Beijing 2022 Special Edition watch which features a 42mm case crafted from Stainless steel, and a unique frosted Grade 5 Titanium bezel ring with a 60-minute dive-time scale in positive relief. It might be celebrating the Winter Olympics but there’s no trace of snow on the dial – not a snowflake in sight rather in keeping with the diver theme, we find a sun-brushed blue ceramic [ZrO2] dial with laser-engraved waves along with rhodium-plated indexes and hands, all filled with Super-LumiNova. As a special tribute to Beijing 2022, there are also five special minute-markers at 2H, 4H, 8H, 10H and 12H, with each one created in the five colors of the iconic Olympic Rings. On the backside of the watch, the polished and brushed case-back includes a stamped Olympic Winter Games Beijing 2022 emblem with a frosted finish. Meanwhile Omega’s patented NAIAD LOCK system keeps all the engravings in perfect alignment. Then beneath it beats an Omega Co-Axial Master Chronometer Caliber 8800. Btw the movement and the entire watch have passed the 8 tests set by the Swiss Federal Institute of Metrology (METAS), guaranteeing the industry’s highest standards of precision, performance and magnetic resistance. The watch comes in a special presentation box and is set on a polished and brushed Stainless steel bracelet including Omega’s patented extendable fold-over rack-and-pusher with an extra diver extension. Thoughts? It’s a lovely watch – what can I say? I love the gorgeous blue dial and the beautiful frosted finish on the Ti bezel and case-back – all are super nice just don’t get me started on the 2022 Beijing Winter Olympics! And don’t get me started on the hypocrisy the Olympic committee - I mean if South Africa was banned from the 1964 Tokyo Olympics and then expelled from Olympic competition by the I.O.C. in 1970 and subsequently barred until 1988 because of its apartheid regime (excuse me while I clear my throat) then WTF about: the cultural, ethnic and religious persecution of the Uighurs and the ethnic Tibetans, the internment camps in Xinxiang and other crimes against humanity perpetrated by an authoritarian, communist, dictatorship?! I said don’t get me started! Anyway, I’m sure that the I.O.C. is just fine with concentration camps, a nice bit of forced Uighur sterilization or forced Falangong organ harvesting but only if it’s done in the Olympic spirit, the one of excellence, friendship and building a peaceful and better world without discrimination of any kind and one that requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play. :-/ But hey, that’s just me, what do you think? :)

3 comments:

OceanicTime Archives